What other autoimmune disorders are typically associated with those who have celiac disease?
Those with an autoimmune disorder are prone to get other autoimmune disorders, but there is no guarantee that this will happen. The most common disorders associated with celiac disease are thyroid disease and Type 1 Diabetes.
Celiac disease is more frequent in those who have the following autoimmune conditions:
- Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: 2.4-16.4%
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS): 11%
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis: 4-6%
- Autoimmune hepatitis: 6-15%
- Addison disease: 6%
- Arthritis: 1.5-7.5%
- Sjögren’s syndrome: 2-15%
- Idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy: 5.7%
- IgA nephropathy: 3.6%